Friday, April 9, 2010

Plein Air & Custom Sketchbooks

I cut a bunch of 100% cotton paper and divided it up into 1 inch thick stacks, took it to Fedex/Kinkos and had it bound into sketchbooks.  I got the idea from a discussion on Plein Air Artists .


They have coil binding and simple black covers.  The paper is Rives BFK 140 lb, Somerset 140 lb,
and Fabriano Aquarelle 90 lb. 

The sizes range from 6x12 to 9 x12 depending on the paper I had around.  I had 7 of these bound for about 5-6 dollars each not including the cost of the paper. 

Here's a sample of what I did on one of the pages. Its a 6x12 sketch on the Rives.

 

Here's what the sketch would look like if I decided to cut it out of the book and frame it. These books make it so easy for me to just pick up and go paint something.  It keeps it casual and immediate and I might just end up with a sketch I like.


And as for what is happening in plein air ...these blooms are right outside my studio, this is what has happened these last few days after warm weather came to Maine !  

No comments:

Post a Comment