Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Mackerel Cove

I spent the afternoon painting in Mackerel Cove on Baileys Island. This is a busy working harbor, all year round it is packed with boats going in and out all day. 

I set up on Abner Point Road and had a good view of the wharf and lobster coop. 


It was sunny and warm when I started to block in the wharf and small cove.


Soon the wind picked up, the temperature dropped, I could see my breath and I pulled on a wool sweater(& my wool mitts).  I had to stand behind my car and paint to stay out of the wind. 

At the top of the cove there was a tiny beach and park that local families came to walk and sail kites. Boats were pulled up on the beach.


This small shack sat on the edge of the cove.  I fell in love with it.  It was so old and hadn't been touched in years. 


Here's a quick sketch I did of it in my book.  Marker & watercolor 60 lb. paper.



For my last painting of the day I decided to paint a boat that was moored at the wharf. 

Here's the beginning of the sketch. The boat was driven off while I was painting it.  Typical and not the first time my subject was taken away while I was painting it in plein air! 


This is the view of Mackerel Cove at sunset from Harpswell Island Road as I was getting ready to head back home.  

No comments:

Post a Comment