Sunday, May 9, 2010

Lands End on Bailey's Island, Maine

On Bailey Island if you keep driving by Mackerel Cove and go straight you will end up at the southern tip of the island.
It was getting late but I was so close to lands end I had to go and get in a few sketches and maybe a few nocturnes before I headed back up to Brunswick for dinner. (There is no food to be had unless you go up to Brunswick.)  


It was lovely at lands end- it was very quiet, just us and a local elderly couple sitting and watching the water from their truck. 

The sun had set and the light was gorgeous.  I walked around and sketched rocks, land, water and any shape and arrangement of forms that caught my eye.

This statue is out on lands end, in memory of all the lobstermen who have such hard lives on the water.  I have a deep place in my memory bank for this lobsterman.  What a classic. Its bigger than life size.  Every time I see him he's so familiar...that's what you do with something you first saw as a youngster.  


 I am so at home in this place. The way the land reaches out into the water, the way all the paths of water travel up into all the bays and coves on the land.   I just want to stay here and set up my studio.  Ok now I have to photograph all the watercolors I did of this place and post them! 

No comments:

Post a Comment