Friday, February 18, 2011

Spring Thaw

Winter is coming to an end! I know there are a lot of folks out there that are happy about this. As the snow drifts melt I have more space to park my car but it also is rapidly changing the landscape. 
At the Rachel Carson Cutts Island trail head on Kittery Point there is more pavement showing along the road but the woods are still thigh deep in snow.

 Chauncey Creek was almost covered in ice a week ago. The creek is tidal so the tides and saltwater move ice out faster than on fresh water lakes and ponds. 

I set up my easel with water views to my left, right and straight ahead. 

The ice has disappeared from the middle of the creek and is melting along the shore and in coves.  Large cakes of it were scattered around. 
 I did a number of sketches in ink and pencil to help me decide what I might paint.  

There was so much great material to choose from and the tide was rising.

The light was changing.

A thin haze of clouds streaked across the sky.

I decided to paint a cove in the creek with slabs of ice scattered around. 

The light started to get bright and hazy with indistinct shadows as I started my block in.

Recently, I've been approaching my plein air paintings with a direct method of paint application. I don't do any underpainting, and I premix my color groups so I can paint faster. 

As the sunlight dimmed a thin sheet of ice formed on the surface of the creek.

The sunlight was now gone but I kept to my original idea. I decided to change the foreground on my small panel(10 x12).  


I wanted to included more slabs and cakes of ice in the cove and shore area. 


This is the view of my easel looking down from the snow drift behind me. 


I really picked up speed as the light dimmed and it got colder!

Marcus kindly documented today's painting trip. He came along on this late winter jaunt to do some sketching. 


I'm going for a wrap on this one. I 'll put the finishing touches on it in the studio.

Or use it for a larger studio piece!

I'm looking forward to spring but... I'll really miss these great snow scenes. Snow makes the landscape so beautiful and interesting !

No comments:

Post a Comment