Friday, February 11, 2011

The Moody Blues

Snow, fresh arctic air and that misty blue mood of the marshes called to me on Monday.  I couldn't resist . I headed out, with the car studio packed for action.

Here on the seacoast we have a lot of snow! I couldn't find a place to park in any of my  favorite places...8 ft drifts blocked the view.

Finally on a quiet, dead end road near the harbor I parked in the road.

It was cloudy, the tide was going out and the muted blues, reds, ochers and greens were beginning to show in the late afternoon light.   

I set up behind my car.  The afternoon was warm. It was above freezing!  What a rare occurance.

I really love sketching with charcoal! Its so different from my cool gray markers.

I spent some time really looking at my subject...
Painting outside is not like work, even though it requires complete concentration it feels like fun.
I painted my sketch in a thin burnt sienna on a primed panel.

The colors of the landscape were soft and muted.

The sky was shifting to subtle shades of golden yellow. 

I started to block in the color notes.

The light began to drop and that blue tint moved in.

I like painting near my car, all my gear is there so when I need something I can just reach for it...there's my tool/paint box open next to me.

Here I'm adding more color notes and building the mood of the place. The ducks and geese honk and quack as they settle in for the night on the marsh . 

Not many people are out here on this late winter day, in the summer this place is a favorite spot for a an evening walk.  

The sun is gone.  A deep blue cast settles over the marsh.

I clean up my paints as my hazard lights light up the dusk.

Across the marsh all the little house lights begin to glow. Another perfect subject for a painting!  I'll do that on another day...


No comments:

Post a Comment