Saturday, March 6, 2010

Painting on Harris Island

I live about 15 miles from Harris Island. It's a great area in York Harbor , ME where two of the town docks are located. Now that the bridge is being repaired on route 103 the road is closed into town so its a perfect quiet place to paint with only a few cars and trucks driving to the docks.

It was a warm sunny morning with snow clouds moving in from the west around midday. Here I'm looking east out to sea with a view of the tip of the island at low tide. The deepest channel forms a curving river pattern in the sand. I did a sketch here.






On the other side of the road there is another bay. I turned and painted this about an hour and a half later. It was filling up fast with the incoming tide.



Here's the sketch I did before the tide and dark clouds moved in.




Shortly after 4:00 pm I moved to one more location a bit farther up the road.There was this large piece of snow on the western side of this small tree covered island in the marsh.




I set up and quickly painted a 20 min study. I had only a small amount of time as I had to head off to teach a sketch class that night.




Here I am still set up in the last bit of light before I packed up and drove off. 


Think this might be some of the last snow on Harris Island for this winter. I'm not holding my breath, its March and we do get big snow storms in March. Here's the sketch with a bit more paint on it. Still not finished.

No comments:

Post a Comment