Friday, July 15, 2011

Waterfall on the Wildcat

  This summer I am having a love affair with waterfalls. 

It started a week ago at the Mill Yard in Amesbury MA. where Marcus performed a music concert...

...and a nice crashing waterfall (that once powered the mills) cooled the summer evening air as I painted it.

The following week I discovered a number of waterfalls on my way to painting locations in the White Mountains of New Hampshire. 

 Early Saturday morning on my way north to Pinkham Notch I stopped in the village of Jackson, NH. 

There the rushing waters of the Wildcat River flow over rocks and ledges creating Jackson Falls.

 This is a popular spot and has been since since the 1800's. A bathing pool was built into the river for summer visitors to enjoy the cool waters.

 The river runs right through the center of the village and is designated a national  "Wild and Scenic River" .

The Jackson Historical Society is located in the village near the river.  This old snow roller was sitting right next to the river. 

 I knew what it was ! I first saw one of these in a painting of a winter scene by Rockwell Kent.  Interesting how much you can learn from viewing art. 


The trail to the lower falls of Jackson Falls is well marked and cared for by volunteers. 


A little gazebo sits in a park on a grassy spot along the trail.


As you walk closer to the falls the land gets rocky.  A small bridge crosses over a stream of water that was diverted into a channel away from the center of the falls.
 
The water is cold, sparkling and crystal clear.

When I reached the end of the trail to the lower falls, I was looking up at gushing plumes of white frothy water cascading over a huge sloping wall of rock.

To paint I had to balance and carefully prop myself in between a couple of large boulders.  

The falls created a lovely sound of rushing water.
 
I was practically sitting in someones very nice back yard! The trail provides a public right-of-way along the edge of private property.
I was safely tucked into an area full of deep cracks and crevasses in the rocks. I had to wedge my gear carefully between the boulders and set my watercolor box on top. 
The water was several feet away from me, constantly splashing, bouncing and flowing by.  


It was very peaceful to sit still and concentrate on capturing the moving shapes of the water.

People climbed out on the rocks above me from the upper falls. The more adventurous ones climbed up and down the falls jumping from rock to ledge. 
  
For myself, I had enough to focus on painting and staying balanced on the boulders...and not fall down in between them!

I was careful to not make sudden moves that might send my supplies down into a narrow deep crevass.


Sitting was best in this situation.There was really no obvious place to set up an easel in a spot that I liked. The grassy level spots are all further down the river. 
 
I loved the place. So do a lot of other people...there was a flow of visitors enjoying the falls the whole time I was there. 
Jackson Falls, 9x12 watercolor on aquarelle.

2 comments:

  1. Wow! What a magical description replete with your pictures. Love your paintings.

    ReplyDelete