Thursday, November 28, 2013

A Day for Reflection

After a day of snow and rain we woke up this Thanksgiving morning to a bright, shiny and very quiet day. No cars on the road. How nice! It reminded me of November days when I was a child. The only sound I heard this morning was crows "cawing" out in the fields.

My favorite place in the world is outside in nature. And my favorite activity is painting. So I couldn't be any happier than when I'm combining my favorite place with my favorite activity! Here are a few of my painting adventures from last winter.  

Winter River, February Afternoon, Oil, 16x20,  Buy Here

I painted "Winter River" on a warm February "thaw" day from the bridge on Card Mill Road, in North Berwick, Maine, looking down at the freshly melted river with its little ice islands. It was very warm compared to the two weeks of sub-zero weather in January when this river was a solid piece of ice. 

And Through the Woods, oil, 4.7 x15. Buy Here.
This view of the snow covered, rolling hills in South Berwick with the afternoon sun lighting them up was a fresh air delight. I was toasty warm standing in the sunlight while painting "…And Through the Woods".  

Shadows and Snow, oil, 9x12. Buy Here. 
I loved painting this stream emerging from the woods in the mountains of New Hampshire. I was in North Conway, NH for the day when I noticed this steadily flowing brook near a ski area. It was a perfect spot, the snow wasn't over the tops of my boots and the sun created nice afternoon pattern of light and shadows!     



1 comment:

  1. Hi Mary! I have never painted in the snow. How do you keep from freezing? Is there a secret?
    Rachel

    ReplyDelete